July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July, everyone! At least, Happy 4th of July to everyone who's American. ;-) This has always been one of my favorite holidays since it's filled with sunshine, fireworks, BBQs, family, baseball, and general good times (also, a little bit of important history). My family has made it a recent tradition to gather at my aunt's house for a big BBQ where my aunt - whose birthday is also the fourth - organizes games, contests, and prizes. She often hands out cheesy necklaces and headbands in red, white, and blue and occasionally even requests that we compete to wear the most patriotic outfit. There was also the year she had us all wear white, decked us out in red, white, and blue accessories, and then posed us for the traditional family photo. Last year we were simply handed flags, many of which were sent flying into the yard in pathetic attempts to get the dog, River, to look towards the camera. Observe.


Family Photo 2009                                Family Photo 2010

Yes, we're those people. But I love it! I love the cheese factor, and I don't remember anyone complaining about the epic water-balloon toss we had last year (I won, for the record). I wrap the day watching the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular (which I will forever call Pop Goes the Fourth because it's unbelievably catchy) and running out to my front yard to watch my crazy neighbor shoot off fireworks. This year I will also be tuning in for A Capitol Fourth, but that's just because my future husband Josh Groban is performing. Next year I shall return to boycotting their clear rip off of the Boston Pops show. The 1812 Overture? Really? Original.

But I digress. The 4th of July signifies a time to goof off and have fun. Adults get the day off from work, kids are out of school for the summer. Everyone gets to kick back and let loose. What could be better?

I know I'm not the only one to feel this way, either. Did you know that the 4th of July is actually the busiest travel holiday of the entire year in the good ole U.S. of A? That's right, bigger than Christmas and Thanksgiving. As previously stated, kids are out of school and offices are closed, so many families take the opportunity to vacation and travel. Last year, an estimated 39 million Americans took to the roads and skies to travel for the Fourth, and the average distance travelled was between 500 and 900 miles. That's a lot of travel! But who can resist good times with friends and family, fireworks, and more hot dogs than you could ever possibly need? Certainly not I. What are your big plans for the 4th, travel bugs? Any traditions? Regardless, I hope you all have a fantastic weekend and revel in the fantastic Americana that sweeps the nation this holiday.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sweets, how I love these pictures and stories! (Your smile is so gorgeous. Truly.) I hope you enjoyed the holiday and gave my best to the one and only Josh. <3 Interesting how much travel occurs this weekend! I never realized. I traveled about... two miles today! Traditions have morphed... which I suppose means they're not traditions after all. Mostly BBQs, but the size has fluctuated over the years. I'm all for starting a new one of s'mores, dancing, and fireworks! Let's start the invites. :o)

    Hugs and blessings! :o)

    ReplyDelete