July 1, 2011

Photo Friday - Stonehenge


Sun beams shining down on Stonehenge

While I was traveling in London, my friend and I went on a day trip with Evan Evans Tours to various sites outside the city, including Bath, Salisbury, and of course, Stonehenge. We didn't stay long (about an hour) since it is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. It's almost otherworldly to see nothing around you for miles, but then have this ancient display before you. I can't explain why Stonehenge was built or the feeling you get when you're there. I think the only way to get the full effect is to go there yourself, so if you're ever in/around London, definitely make a stop. This photo was the best I could do to capture the feeling, with the clouds and sun peaking through. I also enjoy how tiny the people look, which helps illustrate the incredible undertaking it must have been to drag these stones into position. Stonehenge is truly one of the ancient wonders of the world. 

1 comment:

  1. Do you know how much I love this picture? I love it more than chocolate chips. Yep, I'd rather look at this than eat a chipper. When things defy explanation, it's amazing how nature can provide it for you. The sunbeams peeking out to direct our attention to this stunning creation make it extraordinary. Beautiful, gorgeous, spectacular capture, Sweets! :o)

    P.S. I LOVE PHOTO FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete